Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hello Fresh: Meal Two

Pan-Fried Duck with Pommes Mousselines and Pancetta Peas

The second meal we decided to try was the Pan-Fried Duck with Pommes Mousselines and Pancetta Peas.

Recipe card

I found this dish quicker to make than yesterday's meal. I think it was a slightly simpler recipe (less stages and only using the hob rather than hob and cooker) and maybe I'm just getting used to the style of cooking a bit more.

What first struck me was the richness of colour of the duck fillets and plumpness of the cuts. I don't think I've ever even cooked duck myself before but having seen the usual offerings in the supermarket, these looked considerably better.

Duck and pancetta

This might sound like a silly thing to say but the potatoes were in great condition too. Pre-washed with no ugly bits, they were better quality than most of the types you get at the supermarket. The peas were also really plump and fresh.

Fresh peas

On to the cooking. I found all the stage simple and Hello Fresh's method for frying the duck was full-proof. 6 mins skin side down followed by 5 mins on the other side followed by resting - crispy skin and pink inside perfection. I also really liked the idea of boiling potatoes in stock which I've never tried before, it definitely lifted the flavour. They also suggested a new (to me) way of mashing potatoes - pushing them through a sieve. Not only is this a great technique to get super smooth mash but it's handy for people with no masher ie. me.

Duck frying skin side down...

...Then fried on the other side


I really enjoyed the whole combination on the plate. I often find multiple-meat dishes a bit too heavy but this balanced really well. However, I am starting to notice a trend: portion sizes are too big, again I was unable to finish it (although the boyfriend didn't complain). Having said that though, I am a small eater when it comes to meals so I'm not sure I'd suggest for the portion sizes to be smaller, although for me it is a little too much.

The final plate

Missed the unboxing of this week's Hello Fresh box? Click here

1 comment:

  1. I love duck but I have never dared trying to cook it myself for some reason =D maybe I should give it a go!

    ReplyDelete